Monday, November 13, 2006

Jerry's

If you all remember Jerry, we were invited to his home for dinner last friday. His Grandma took us in right away and hugged us. She then made us call her mama the rest of the night. Seemed more like an italian grandma then a chinese one. We were greeted with many hugs and were shown around the apartment. I was then taken into a bedroom where his grandma started explaining to me that her daughter was dead! Jerry had always told us that his mother had lived in Yueyang as a tailor, so this was very odd. I looked at him to confirm in english that this is what his grandmother was telling me and he said yes that she was dead. I feel so bad for him. Many of the chinese teachers have told me that he likes to be alone and that he doesnt talk much in class. Then with all that happened in my class and the students making fun of him for talking to me. I felt so bad for him. His sister , father and grandparents all live in this apartment and jerry is boarded at the school. We were served duck, dog, chicken, fish and many vegetables. An expensive meal for a family with only one income. Then we also had a strange egg mixture that left me feeling sick for many days after. One of the nicest families I have ever met. The grandma even walked with us to the bus, the whole way there she held my hand and rubbed my arms telling me over and over that I needed to be wearing a coat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home