Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mooncakes

图像 “http://z.about.com/d/chinesefood/1/0/U/4/mooncakes.jpg” 因其本身有错无法显示。http://www.ximnet.com.my/thelab/images/upload/mooncake.jpg

Some of you have been asking what the heck a mooncake is. So Here they are!!
They are these little circlular pastery type things that fit in your palm.
On the inside there is a filling alot like a gummie bear or fruit cake.
The chinese eat them only during the mid autumn festival. They come in really beautifully wrapped boxes. Some of them are larger then others. If they are old you can tell because like our friend lance said "they taste like china!" I have read that in some parts of China they actually have 4 egg yolks inside, Lucky us we never got those.

The story behind them: This told by my students, I have read other stories on the internet about the Han having secret messages written in the mooncakes and then they were secretly delivered to warn the Han of the mongols attack, but I have no idea what story is the real story.
The story my students told me is this .There was the most beautiful women in all of China, She was so beautiful that she flew to the moon, ( Which I then told my students, wow her arms must have been tired, they laughed) There also was a man that was very bad and the gods wanted to punish him, so they sent him to the moon to cut down a tree, but they cursed him because the tree will never be cut down all the way, so the man works and works forever. Now the two live on the moon.
I know there are more parts to the story, but the students couldnot translate it all into english, so You can google the midautumn festival for more details.
I think its so great that here in China during this time, it's almost like christmas. Everyone is getting together with there family and celebrating.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Joe and Emily -- Gen from Larkin Hoffman here. I finally had a chance to read your blogs; what a unique experience you are having, and it is great to be able to share, to some extent, all of your adventures with you! There are a lot of us who are following your everyday reports to us; and even though we don't comment, we are very "into" what you are doing! Keep up the good work, and keep keeping us posted! God bless you and the work that you are doing -- Gen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home