Sunday, October 29, 2006

In the city..... City of Changsha!

Decided at the last minute to take a day trip into the big city. We really are turning chinese now, Making last minute plans , eatting crazy food!! On a side note Joe tried Peacock this past week.
The county folk we are now, we were amazed at how different city life really can be.
We decided to take the train in. Wow what a scarey ride. We went with two other friends and as the train pulled into the station we were surprised at the pushing and shoving that then insued. I being that I like pushing got right in there and started pushing back. Kinda reminded me of being at one of those rock concerts where people are flying over your heads as you chant the lyrics of some song most likely talking about death.
We pushed and pushed, many old people were even doing it and for some reason everyone believed that this was a better alternative to just helping the old person on the train. Everyone just seemed to be ok with it. Our friend Amy and I pushed and we made progress to get to the front of the line, so we got on the train first. Joe and our other friend Mary Claire were stuck going to the next car where there might be some room.
Pushing ourselves to the front maybe wasnt such a good idea. We ended up the last people on the car and in doing so we stood by the door the whole time. Chinese trains are not a fun experience for the coustrophobic. There are people smoking, spitting and coughing everywhere. There are no seats unless your the lucky ones who arrived early and there is no way of moving anywhere. They over book the train, which leaves people feeling like sardines. One of course constent thing universal whether it be Chinese transportation or American is the available beverages and snacks you can buy for an overcharged price. The only difference here is the amount of space needed for a cart carrying these goodies. Even though there are millions of people standing in the aisles of the train the cart still comes. I was really shocked when it passed by Amy and I. We held our bags high over our heads and sucked in our guts. Praying it would pass through. Lucky for us somehow God took pity on us and the cart neither ran over any toes or grazed our stomachs. It was miracle work in action Im telling you! Point is here The train was scarey. Joe said his expierence was also not a fun one. He said people were spitting all over the place and it was hard to breathe with all the smoke. Defiently no fun.

We then arrived in Changsha where we visited our director, visited a few haunts and went shopping. Joe visited a friend of ours named Ben. We love him to death, he has the best english Ive ever heard! and he now has a girlfriend! Joe spent some time at his school and I went shopping with Mary Clare. It was so nice to just get out and do something I love with a girl. I Love Joe, but every wife knows shopping with the Hubbie is no fun!! So I had a great time. I even found a sweater and a winter coat! I am now the proud owner of a size xxxl coat from china! The sizes here are so crazy! The small sizes are like childrens smalls and the larges couldnt fit a small women. I was happy enough to find anything that would fit me. I was getting scared I would have to buy mens clothes for a second there.

Ps we just found out we will have Monday and Tuesday off for our schools birthday! Happy Birthday to us. I dont care if we dont teach on the 31st Im still going around on Nov 1st to all my classes for trick or treating. Those kids better have candy ready!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home