Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lick that crab back clean!

These last couple of days have been amazing. This is what China should be like everyday. New and exciting things plopping right at your feet, your eyes opened wider then ever because of shock! and even though some students were evil, everything turns out ok when you hit the sack.

It all started off with yesturday during one of Joe's classes. His class would not be quiet, after the third, three strikes your out policy and even after reading and repeating as a punishment they still wouldn't be quiet. So Joe had it, He picked up a kids book of there desk and threw it across the room!! He then yelled as loud as he could at them and then there was silence!

Later that evening we came home to our good friend the barber. After receiving the crabs and not knowing how to cook them, we gave them to him and said tommorow we want to share these with you. Can you cook them? SInce the barber only knows the local dialect this was very hard to do, but eventually he understood.
We arrived home to a feast of crabs. The same creepy crawlys that were walking around the apartment the day before were now cooked up and tasted delicious.
The barbers whole family was there too. The nephew, who I sometimes tease outside is a primary school student. He was so cute, he kept picking up the crabs back and eating all the meat out. Then he would lick it clean! It reminded me of when I was little my grandpa and I would like the chef boyrdee plates after lunch. We tried our best at communication by using our hands and trying our best chinese, but the barber only knows the dialect so our chinese would not have helped.
We then drank our bai jo, of course! and at the end of the meal had arm wrestling championship showdowns in which I beat Joe, then Joe and the barber tied. I was unsuccessful at beating the barber. The barber however was very happy that he could stand up next to a 25 year old. He is 40.
We ended the night running around the track , three miles. The barber ran 4 laps and during the last lap he lit a cigarette. Afterwards we swapped shoes and I learned that the barber has the same size foot as me. He tried Joe's shoes on and just laughed at how much room they had inside.


"While eatting I have a world discovery"
~ our new friend shawn

Today we were treated by our new friend shawn to lunch. Shawn is the son of a teacher at our school. During the mid autumn festival all the families come back together. Shawn is a univeristy student that studies in Beijing. He is on vacation and has decided to spend most of it with us.
We walked all the way to this little restraunt where the sign outside the front door has two dogs on it, one is a golden retriever. Hmm The other dog blankly stares at the writing in chinese. Like the dog is reading it or something. Really funny!
We sit and are given a soup that has white carrot, leeks, small eggs and dog head meat in it. Just for an extra they bring out a plate with frozen dog blood on it. It looks a little like red tofu. Its cut into slices and you are supposed to throw it in the soup.
We also had a huge plate of spicy dog. Which actually wasn't bad. Dog is an interesting taste. I don't know if because it is dog it gives me the willys or if it is because I just don't like it, but when you eat it, dog tastes good. Even better then chicken. Then after about an hour you start to have this bad taste in your mouth and you start to feel a bit sick. I think our american stomachs don't know what to do with it. My stomach screamed "no its mans best friend, you cannable!"
Well during our lunch our friend shawn had his revelation. We were talking about english bad words and he said the word shit. He then relized that the shanghai institute of technology is nicknamed S.H.I.T. So he says oh yeah you wanna go to school in shit? He just cracks himself up. The boys then just keep repeating it because they think its the funniest thing they have ever heard of. "I go to shit school" etc. Then shawn says " I think I just had a world discovery, It's so great!"
We then left the restraunt ready for our walk home when down the street from the restraunt lays a dead dog on the sidewalk!!! A women hovers over it with a club looking thing and there is blood all over the place. There are a couple kids helping her with these medal things to hang it up for sale. I thought I nearly died. I really right then and there almost lost it. It being everything, my brain , my sanity, and most importantly my lunch!
Joe and I looked at each other in amazement and said, damn where is our camera!! I am glad we didnt have it though. It is something I would love to forget.
We have nicknamed this area of the county "Dog Town".

Guess who are the terrorists?

I was teaching a class today on Unforgettable experences again. I wanted the students to give me a story of there own. First I gave them an example of my unforgettable expierence. I tell them that September 11 is unforgettable for me. I drew the twin towers,the plane and as I was finished drawing the two towers coming down a boy says as loud as ever and in a really mean voice. "Ohhhh the Japanese!!!" I turned around and said "No they werent Japanese, they were terrorists from the middle east" The students kind of looked at me blankly.
So guess who caused 9.11?? The japanese, didnt you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home