Sunday, October 29, 2006

It was a world series win of a week!

Just first off would like to say I am so proud to have been Born in St.Louis right now. Even in the Far East The Cards were cheered for.So exciting, I will be teaching my students all about baseball this week! Makes all my childhood adoreing ozzie smith flips worth every dream!! Awesome Job!!

The week also had other up moments as well....
On Wednesday and Thursday we attended a wedding ceremony for our good friend Amanda and the headmasters son. It was quite different from an American wedding. Still had the white puffy dress and singing and eatting, but it was the other customs that made us wonder if we were in the twilight zone of weddings. First of all the wedding was in the middle of the week, and at noon none the less. The date is chosen by the lucky day on the lunar calender. Its serious buisness I hear, If they pick a bad day it could mean bad luck for there whole married life. Nobody wants bad luck from the get go. Hmmm reminds me of another wedding we wont name names but the groom ***ah hem joe*** being in charge of calling the preist and finding what dates were available booked friday the 13th for our wedding. Which was quickly changed.
I had to teach the 4th class so Joe and I arrived at the wedding just in time for the start of the ceremony. The hall was huge, just like a reception would be in America. Tables layered with red tablecloths and more people then should be seated in the room. We walked in noticing there were no tables with any space. Our headmaster spotted us and grabbed us while telling two people who had already sat down and had drinks at there table to move. I felt really bad, but later I took back the guilt when I relized I was at this wedding because Amanda was my friend and I wanted to be there for her. I noticed as the ceremony started other people were attending this wedding because they had to or they just wanted a good meal.
This idea was later confirmed by a friend who said that since it was the headmasters son all the teachers felt it was there obligationto attend. Just different from American weddings I guess.
The ceremony started and the bride and groom were showered with gifts from the grooms boss, the parents and the brides students. Both fathers gave long deep voiced speechs and our headmaster seemed on the verge of tears when he finished.
The Bride and groom then bowed to their parents, and each other and at the end just like American wedding kissed. The only different thing was that halfway through this ceremony the waitress' started bringing out food. Then as if no one cared everyone just turned around and started eatting and talking. It was so strange because I felt like everyone was being so rude. This was someones wedding for gods sakes. But I then had to step back with my American opinons and remember this is how things are here, thats all part of the wedding. The bride then changed into a beautiful red suit and both her and the groom proceeded to make the rounds of the tables greeting guests and drinking toasts. The wedding was only but 1 hour and in the end everyone just started getting up and taking food home in bags. Yep, never saw anything like it in my life. Everyone just started making there way with doggie bags taking home the most delicous dishes. When someone says "Nothing goes to waste here" its true. It was truly an unforgettable expierence. To quote Unit 4 of our english book.
Thursday was also the same but even better. Wednesday was the grooms day and thursday is the brides day. All the brides family was there and I even had a chance to talk with a set of chinese twins. Both wednesday and thursday I saw twins, must mean something here!! The wish you give to someone on there wedding day is "double happiness". It must mean a sign sense I saw twins both days. On wednesday the girls told me their names were Lily and Lula.
Coming from a set of pig tailed, dressed exactly alike 8 year olds was the cutest thing!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home