Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas is coming!!

We are preparing for a christmas performance here at our school. We are teaching the students rudolf the red nosed reindeer and we ourselves are learning a chinese song. I am sending you this link to listen to the song we will sing in front of the school. Its really difficult!! This is a parady on the song and in the video its actually two boys. By the way they act they could be our students though.
http://gb.cri.cn/6851/2005/06/22/Zt1525@593155.htm

In other events: Rudolf is a big hit!!! For the performance day Joe and I will sing most of the words to the song and all the students will sing the added words. Like a light bulb, etc. I have changed some of the words to make it more chinese though for example, Instead of like pinochio i have changed the words to like zhu ba jie ( a charector they know on tv) and Instead of monopoly they will say majong, Last but not least we have Chairman Mao instead of George washington.!!! I love it. George is rolling in his grave!
The kids are really excited about it.
Lets see whatelse, oh I am teaching them about christmas. Probubly the first and last christmas lesson I will be able to give and talk about Jesus in, if I become a teacher back in the states.
I play the song O holy night for the students and ask them what they think the song is about. first though I explain that jesus christ is his first and last name and its called christmas because it was his birthday. They listen to the song and some look bored and others are reading along with the words i have provided.
Some of the opinons are great and really melt my heart. I haven't relized how much I really miss being home and going to weekly mass with our family until the students spoke. I am not allowed to talk about religious stuff at all, but I was teaching them about christmas, so I had to mention something. These are the students opinons.
SOme say its too slow, you cant dance to it, or its too difficult. but I had a few that gave me the best answers. The first one was a girl that stood up and said "This song is about jesus' birthday, It tells us to love one another and that Christ is the lord! ~I almost fainted!
Then another girl screamed out when I was showing them a nativity scene oh thats jesus's mama, Mary!! Then just today a student said that he liked the song only so-so because it was nice to listen to, but it made him want to cry! I am not allowed to teach about religion or anything and I wasnt trying to. I was just showing them that this is what the first christmas was about and why its called christmas. I also taught them about santa claus and how we decorate the tree and hang lights outside, but those answers really made me want to cry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home