Friday, September 22, 2006

I think I have died and gone to hell and the place is run by millions of chinese 12 year olds!!, but they have corn candy!

Well judging by the title you can guess it was a rough week. I think actually maybe it wasn't a rough week , but a rough last couple of days. In these last 2 days I had to teach my 4 junior classes. COming up with activities to keep them "engaged" is really hard. When does "engaged" turn into rules the classroom. My first two classes took every chance they got to scream at each other. I think they believe I can not hear them, or maybe one of their other teachers is deaf. Im not sure, but they scream at the top of their lungs when answering a question.
My first 3 classes were horrible. Then I came home and tried my best to hold it together. I talked it over with Joe and he gave me some good advice. For the last class I developed a 3 strikes your out rule. If I have to hush the class more then 3 times then I will make them read or do something boring. I tell the students this a they really do quiet down much faster. Right before I go to check the third strike they quickly shut there mouths. Its pretty cool.
I have also decided for the really bad classes I might keep them into there break period. This might be a little hard because I always have to teach another class, but I think I am willing to be a few minutes late to punish a bad class. Its pretty funny . I decided hey if they want to treat me like crap then They don't get to go to the bathroom. Ha ha

Well other then that.... We have been witnessing some pretty interesting things here.
The other day our main road was closed and there were millions of people just standing right in the middle of it.
We asked a student what this was and he translated , but in chinese the word for party and movement are the same. So either someone was having a giant street party or these people were protesting. We later asked another teacher and she confirmed that it was in fact a movement. I guess when I was a kid, or heck even up until I came here I never thought I would witness a movement here in a country like this. The topic up for protest was the water pollution. The movement was over in a few hours because the police came and the government informed the people that new chemistry had been created just to continue to treat the water. hmm right. Very interesting to witness something like this.
on the upside of things...... a math teacher invited everyone to his wedding and he showered everyones desks with candy. Some of the candy tastes normal. There's orange disks, grape disks, something that smells like peanut brittle, but tastes like air. Then there is the best one of all!!! Corn Candy. We are unsure if this is a creation to make kids eat there vegetables or just another whacky chinese thing. It actually tastes like corn on the cob! I'm not kidding!

1 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Lance Webel said...

Hey guys ... it's great to check out your blog. Blogspot is blocked over in Loudi, so don't be offended if I don't check in often.

And yeah, go ahead and eat the fish. It's not like they drink the water, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home