Saturday, September 09, 2006

Our classes


We now have finished our second week of teaching. Wow are we tired. We now teach 15 classes each ( 11 senior 1, and 4 junior classes each) I teach junior 2 and Joe teaches junior 3. I was a little nervous at first because Joe taught his junior class first and told me how much of a handle full they were. I thought, oh no, I am going to teach one year yourger then that!
It all turned out ok however. The juniors are just alittle louder and more active. The seniors are more mature and are eager to learn so they stay quiet when the need to be, but with the juniors its like pulling teeth to get them to stay quiet. I told my class one day that if they weren't quiet I would give them homework. Luckily they became quiet because I didnt know anything I could give them. I would feel bad anyway the kids here go to school until 9 :30 at night! So giving them extra homework sounds cruel. At least if they get noisey I can threaten it though :)
I played one game with all of my classes that I really loved! Its called who or what am I? I have one student come up and face the class. then I write a word behind them on the board. The class has to give the student clues to guess the english word. The kids love this game! It gets really loud with 65 screaming kids yelling out clues, so I had to quiet everyone down and say that people had to raise thier hands to give clues, I told them that the class next store would be "angry", which was a vocab word for this week. For the good classes I even let them write a word behind me and get me to guess the word. If anything they just love seeing there teacher try to guess at something and get it wrong. I had words written behind me all the way from "apple", "confident", and "handsome" to "Koby Bryant". Pretty hilarious when I had to guess that last one. They kept screaming Los angelos basketball player! Like I know, but somehow magically they said his name starts with a k and I guessed it! I even had one class that when the bell rang they wanted to keep playing. They screamed, "Please one more game!" I cherish those days because I know what I am doing here is not a waste of time for the students. In some classes I feel like I am just a babysitter for 45 minutes. I have to keep them quiet long enough to teach and then the class is over! But this was a good day and a good game. I saw that the students really did learn there words and it gave me satisfaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home