Monday, May 15, 2006

First Day of English as a second language teaching.
Well Joe and I have officially started teaching ESL. We are required to teach 25 hours before we leave for China. Going into class today I was terrified!! I thought oh no they are going to rip us to shreds, but it turned out to be great, although I think Joe and I learned more about them then they learned English from us! It was just our first day though. The lesson we taught was all about health care. We taught the students words like backache, stomach ache, and my favorite the flu. How do you really explain flu? I said vomitting and throw up, but other then that how do you explain it without being completly gross!! I used scattegories type movements, immitating vomitting. Hmm Yeah I am suprised they understood what I meant. Maybe I just invented a new dance!
Well we also taught them how to play jeopardy. They loved it! Two of the ladies even got so into it they were trying to cheat with points.
Overall it was a great class. We teach a class with 20 students about half are from Mexico and other latin american countries and the other half are from Somalia. I think the hardest thing is remembering their names and knowing how to pronounce them. Good thing the students in China get american names or I would be horrible at remembering all of them.
Overall a great time!~emily

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home