Monday, May 08, 2006

Why do the two of you want to volunteer?

This is a question that I am asked frequently. It is a good question, but there are many answers.
The most important reason is that I/we want to help other people. We both want our lives to be about more than ourselves. Too many people these days do everything for themselves and put too much emphasis on their current/immediate happiness. I am not accusing anyone; I just want to push myself to be the best person I can be. ( I know I am not stating all of my assumptions, but you can deduce them easily enough. If you are looking for a more in depth exploration email me)
I/we want to experience life in another culture. There is a lot that people can learn about each other and about God's creation. Some of the people I know do not think that life can be any other than it is in the US. Hopefully, I can show them that people do not all lead the same lives. Maybe they will see something in another culture worth immatating.
I am very interested in seeing how well I will do as a teacher. I have spent a lot of time considering the possibility of teaching for a living.
Through learning another language I hope to be able to facilitate conversation for immigrants.
I think this experience will bring my wife and I closer together. I hope to develop a greater appreciation of Emily's talents.

I am sure there are others; I will try to update as they come to me.


-Joe

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
You are so right. We are supposed to lead a life of service. When serving others, it almost feels like selfishness because it fills us up with all the "good stuff." It gives us a feeling of true happiness.

Rachelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home